Sunday, November 3, 2013

Chocolate Pumpkin Cake with Chocolate Hazelnut Crunch


I baked this cake for my friend's Halloween party last weekend....but it is perfect throughout the Fall season. It's full of aromatic spices, but perfectly balanced with the rich cocoa flavor and the crunchy hazelnut layer on the bottom. 

You can opt to eliminate the hazelnut crunch, and even replace the apricot layer with a pumpkin buttercream frosting. But, I think the sweetness of the apricot jam worked great with the pumpkin cake. I originally was going to do a pumpkin jam, but I did not have enough time to make my own jam. Plus, as I had never made jam before, I did not want to have to worry about botulism :-/ 


By the way, what do you think about the costumes that my boyfriend and I wore for Halloween? He dressed up as the infamous painter Bob Ross, and I was his "happy tree" :) I saw the idea as I was googling Halloween costumes and thought that it was adorable. For my head piece, I attached faux leaves to a head band that my mom sewed for me out of old pantyhose stuffed with pillow filling. I also used real leaves to cover the headband itself. By the way, I'm sure my boyfriend would like you think that that's his real hair but, fortunately for myself, it's only a wig :) This was the first Halloween that my boyfriend and I got to spend together as he was away at school the past two Halloweens...so it was fun coming up with a couples' costume. 


Hope you guys enjoy! More Fall savory and sweet dishes coming soon.....

Chocolate Pumpkin Cake with Chocolate Hazelnut Crunch

Cake:

1 1/2 cups cake flour, sifted (see below at instruction #2)
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/3 cup dutch-processed cocoa powder
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt + 1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup milk
3 eggs, room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla extract + 1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1 tsp. cinnamon powder + 1 tsp. cinnamon powder 
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cloves

Hazelnut crunch spread:

1 cup rice Krispie cereal
1/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted, finely chopped
12 oz. milk chocolate chips
1 Tbsp. butter

Apricot Layer:

1 cup apricot jam

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter a 9 x 13 inch baking sheet and set aside.

2. For the cake flour, I used all-purpose flour and cornstarch to get homemade cake flour. I sifted the one and a half cups of all-purpose flour in a bowl. I then replaced two tablespoons of the all-purpose flour with two tablespoons of cornstarch. I then shifted that mixture a couple times to make sure that the cornstarch and all-purpose flour were well incorporated.


3. Whisk together your homemade cake flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, the 1/4 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Set aside.

4. If using canned pumpkin puree (as I did), in a small saucepan, heat the 3/4 cup pumpkin puree with the remaining 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. cinnamon, and 1 tsp. vanilla extract. Heating the pumpkin puree will help to remove any metal flavor resulting from the can. Just stir mixture for 5 minutes until smooth.

5. In a large bowl, mix the eggs one at a time. Mix the eggs for at least 3-4 minutes. Then, add the sugar and continue to mix them for another 3-4 minutes. 

6. Add the oil, milk, and vanilla extract and continue to mix for another few minutes. 


7. Turn the mixer off and stir in dry ingredients slowly. Do not overmix. 

8. Pour batter in cake pan and smooth the top layer. Bake for 40 minutes. Check the center of the center with a skewer to make sure that the skewer is clean and the cake is fully cooked.

9. Let cake cool on cooling rack for at least 1 hour. After 30 minutes or so, remove the cake from the cake pan and let it continue to cool on cooling rack. 

10. Boil some water in a saucepan and place a bowl on top of the saucepan. Add chocolate chips to the bowl in order to melt them (double boiler). Reduce the heat. Make sure that the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water in the saucepan because it can burn the chocolate. 


11. Stir the chocolate. Add the butter and continue stirring until smooth and silky. Please be patient while stirring the chocolate. It may take 5-10 minutes. You may wish to turn the stove off completely. If you notice the chocolate is hardening, turn the heat back up. I kept the heat on low through the entire process. 

12. Add the chopped hazelnuts and rice Krispie cereal to the chocolate and mix. 

13. In the same 9x13 inch pan, line the pan with wax paper. Make sure to cut two large portions of wax paper: one piece that lines parallel with the pan, and a second piece that lines perpendicular with the pan. You also want the wax paper to be large enough where you can grab it (important for later removing the hazelnut crunch layer and chocolate). When preparing my pan, I only lined it with one wax paper going parallel with the pan and had some trouble preventing the hazelnut crunch layer from separating from the cake. 


14. Add the hazelnut crunch layer on the wax paper and smooth it out evenly. I just used a spatula to smooth this out. Carefully place the cake on top of the hazelnut crunch layer and press the cake in firmly to make sure that the cake adheres to the hazelnut crunch layer. Let cool in refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight.


15. Once the hazelnut crunch layer has hardened, remove it from the pan and cut into even pieces, about 2x2 inch squares. Be careful to cut completely through the hazelnut crunch layer. 

16. Spread a thin layer of apricot jam on top of each cake. Sprinkle with chopped candy corn or chopped hazelnuts. 


2 comments:

  1. Oh this sounds amazing Tat! I could have pumpkin in anything really lol! But chocolate, pumpkin, and hazelnut sounds like a heavenly trifecta! P.S. I'm not sure if you're already doing this, but always pin your baked goods to pinterest. It's a great way to get traffic to your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rita! That's a great idea :) I was planning on posting on tastespotting.com and foodgawker.com as well, but I wanted to add some more posts before I publicized it on a larger scale. I'm excited for my semester to finish in a couple more weeks so that I can focus more on my blog :)

      Delete