Saturday, August 3, 2013

Caramelized Mashed Carrots




Two days ago, I went to my dentist for a wisdom tooth extraction. I was so nervous because I had never previously removed a wisdom tooth. I was surprised at how quickly the procedure ended! But, once I got home, I had to deal with the reality of liquid and mashed foods for the next couple of days. With almonds as my go-to snack, I knew I would have a difficult time adjusting to my new diet.  

The day of my surgery, my diet consisted of chocolate brownie ice cream and baked potatoes. I love both, but I knew I would be bored of each fairly quickly. I knew I did not want to have variations of potato over the next two or three days, especially since I am not the biggest fan of mashed potatoes (I know...I know...heresy, right?). I love carrots, but I don't find myself incorporating them in my meals as often as I should. So, I figured my sensitive mouth would be a great excuse for me to prepare a dish centered around carrots! 



Caramelized Mashed Carrots

Serves 4

2 lbs. carrots, peeled and cut in half, lengthwise (I didn't cut mine in half, but it still worked out great)
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. dried oregano
2.5 tsp. cumin powder
1 tsp. Aleppo crushed red pepper (any type of chili powder will do, really)
3 tsp. brown sugar
1 cup vegetable broth
Salt and pepper
Parsley, chopped (optional)
Pine nuts (optional)

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. 

2. Place carrots on baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Add garlic powder, dried oregano, cumin powder, red pepper, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Using your hands, coat the carrots in the delicious spice mixture. 



3. Roast carrots in oven for about 40-45 minutes. Mine took about 42 minutes. If you cut your carrots, I am certain it won't take as long. Just make sure to pierce your carrots with a knife to make sure they are soft and ready to come out of the oven.

4. In a large pot, heat up the vegetable broth. Add carrots to broth (don't forget to scrape any juices left on the baking sheet into the pot :))

5. Using an electric mixer, mash the carrots coarsely. You can also use a potato masher, but it was a little difficult for me to mash the carrots manually. Add additional broth to help you with this process.

6. Place mashed carrots into serving dish. Garnish with chopped parsley and pine nuts. 







No comments:

Post a Comment