Thursday, August 8, 2013

Mahi Mahi with Grilled Apricot Salsa

After Salmon, Mahi Mahi is my favorite type of fish. It's so flaky, tropical, and the perfect canvas for a variety of flavors. I went to the market today and purchased a couple of Mahi Mahi fillets because they were on sale...score! I went there, though, with the goal of purchasing organic yellow peaches, but they ran out :( I wanted to prepare this dish using grilled peaches instead of apricots, but I think this recipe works well with many different fruits (mangos, nectarines, plums, and pluots would be great, too). 

I also worked on my churro coconut cupcakes today because I wanted to revise the original recipe. I started reading Michael Ruhlman's Ratio. I was so excited to check it out from the library yesterday. It is a great book on laying out the framework for batters, doughs, etc. For example, the ratio for a sponge cake is 1 part butter; 1 part sugar; 1 part egg; and 1 part flour. I realized how much I did not understand about cooking until I started reading this book. Before, I was blindly scanning recipes and following their measurements, but did not know why 3/4 cup of sugar works best with 1 and 1/4 of flour. Once you have an understanding of the ratios for each dish, you can improvise as much as you want and you never have to look at another recipe again (but please don't take this as an indication to not read my blog haha :)). 

By the way, the serrano peppers are from my garden :) They're so tiny that I lost one of those little guys in the grill :( 




Mahi Mahi with Grilled Apricot Salsa

Serves 1

Fish:

1 Mahi Mahi fillet
Salt, black pepper, garlic powder, chili pepper, cumin, and oregano

Apricot Salsa: 

2 medium-sized apricots, cut in half and de-pitted
1/4 cup red onions, diced
1 small red bell pepper, cut in half
3-4 serrano peppers
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
The juice of 1/2 a lemon
Salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and oregano to taste
Pinch of sugar
Olive oil

1. Lightly brush fish with olive oil. Season both sides of fish with salt, black pepper, garlic powder, chili pepper, cumin, and oregano.

2. Lightly brush apricots, red bell pepper, and serrano peppers with olive oil. Season them with salt, black pepper, and chili pepper. 

3. Heat grill to medium heat and lightly oil the grill grates. Place apricots, red bell pepper, and serrano peppers on grill, facing down. Grill each side for about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.


Grill marks :) 

4. Dice the grilled apricots, red bell pepper, and serrano. Mix in a bowl with red onions and cilantro. Add apple cider vinegar and lemon. Finally, add salt, black pepper, garlic powder, oregano, and sugar to taste.

5. Grill fish, flesh side down. Grill each side for about 4-5 minutes, until it easily flakes and is opaque in the center. 

6. Remove fish from grill. Top it with the apricot salsa. 



No comments:

Post a Comment