Sunday, August 4, 2013

Oven-Baked Chicken with Strawberry Balsamic Sauce


Despite having a wisdom tooth removed a few days ago, I had a wonderful weekend. Last night, my boyfriend, his sister, and I went to the movies and saw Fruitvale Station. It's based on a true story about Oscar Grant, a young, African-American man who was killed in Oakland, California by a Fruitvale Valley Rapid Transit officer on New Year's Day of 2009. I highly recommend the film because it vividly portrays the racist attitudes of police officers. It's a pretty sad film, so you may want to bring a few tissues with you if you end up watching it. 

We went to the Laemmle Theatres in North Hollywood. That was our second time going to the North Hollywood location. I can't say enough good words about Laemmle because I love independent and foreign films. A couple weeks ago, we were at the NoHo location and watched Pedro Almodovar's new comedy, I'm So Excited! The entire audience could not stop laughing throughout the film....it was absolutely hilarious. Watching a new Almodovar film is always bittersweet for me...I love the experience of traveling back into Almodovar's world of vibrant color and melodrama; but, once the film ends, I am on the edge of my seat waiting for news of the release of his next film.  

I am feeling much better today and was able to easily jump back into solid foods! I opted for a pretty traditional flavor combination for tonight's dinner...strawberry balsamic. So perfect, right? Balsamic vinegar is probably my favorite condiment and I try to use it in unconventional ways when I cook. I have played around with strawberry balsamic flavors for desserts, but never for a savory dish. I am pleasantly surprised at how delicious the chicken came out :) It was extremely moist. 

I also love how you can taste each of the individual flavors, but none were too overpowering.

This strawberry balsamic sauce and salsa are also great for meat and fish dishes. 



Oven-Baked Chicken with Strawberry Balsamic Sauce

Serves 2

Chicken:

3 boneless chicken breasts, cut in half, lengthwise
Salt, black pepper, chili powder, and garlic powder

Sauce:

1/3 cup strawberries, quartered
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, packed
3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. garlic powder
Dash of red pepper flakes
Black pepper, to taste

Strawberry Salsa:

1/3 cup strawberries, diced
1 Tbsp. fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/4 of a jalapeno, diced finely (optional, but I love heat)
1/4 of the strawberry and balsamic vinegar sauce (refer above)
Crumbled feta cheese (optional)

Balsamic Vinegar Reduction:

1 cup balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar



1. In a blender or food processor, pulse ingredients for the sauce until smooth. 

2. Season both sides of chicken breasts with salt, black pepper, chili powder, and garlic powder. Place chicken breasts in a deep oven-baking dish. 

3. Coat chicken breasts with about 3/4 of the strawberry sauce. You want to leave about 1/4 of the strawberry sauce for the strawberry salsa (see step 5). I put the marinated chicken breasts in the refrigerator for about half an hour so that the sauce could soak in. You can eliminate this step if you'd like. I don't think it makes too much of a difference in the end product.


4. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Use aluminum foil to cover the baking dish with chicken breasts. Bake for approximately 45 minutes.

5. Meanwhile, combine the ingredients for the strawberry salsa. Set aside.

6. In a saucepan, boil balsamic vinegar and red wine vinegar. Once boiled, bring to a simmer on low for approximately 10-15 minutes until the mixture is reduced to about 1/2 cup and has the consistency of a syrup. Leave the lid off the saucepan while reducing the balsamic vinegar.

7. Once chicken breasts are fully cooked, plate them and top them with the strawberry salsa mixture. As a garnish, top with feta cheese crumbles. I used Bulgarian feta cheese, but any type is great (LOVE feta!). Using a spoon, lightly drizzle the reduced balsamic vinegar over the chicken breasts and salsa mixture. 



By the way, I had some extra strawberry sauce that I used as a topping for my ice cream :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment