Sunday, August 18, 2013

Greek Yogurt and Feta Cheese Crostinis


I can't believe that I haven't posted a recipe on my blog for over a week! There just have been too many events this past week. I start school tomorrow, and still have a ton of reading for my Wills and Trusts class that I need to finish today :-/ I am just counting down the months till I never have to do reading or studying for law school again! 

I went to one of my closest friend's birthday celebration on Friday at the Local Peasant. They've opened a new location in Woodland Hills...which was desperately needed since most of the more modern bars in the valley are in the Sherman Oaks/Studio City area. It was great seeing everyone again, but also a little sad that two of my girlfriends are off to medical school and no longer living in Los Angeles :( 

Yesterday, one of my other good friends got married!! I had an incredibly great time, especially since I hadn't been to a wedding in a few years. Slowly, that is going to change...I feel everyone in my social circle is going to get married within the next 5 years or so. My boyfriend and I were late to the church ceremony so, rather than awkwardly walking in to the church while everyone is already at the altar, we decided to take an impromptu trip to Porto's bakery. While he and I were in formal wear, everyone else was dressed casually...needless to say, we stood out (but, in a good way :)). He had their pineapple custard cake and I had the fruit tart. Both were delicious! I wish I took some pictures to show you guys :-/ 

For the past week or so, I have been in the "movie mood." That happens every once in a while. I think, especially since school starts this coming week, I want to get my fill of foreign films. I went to Laemmle the other night and watched an incredible Spanish/French film called El Artista y La Modelo. It takes place during post-World War II occupied France. If the title didn't already give it away, it's the story of a sculptor who finds a new, female model to pose nude for him. Also, it's in black and white, which is so rare in movies these days! Chus Lampreave, one of the cutest Spanish actresses you will ever see, is also in this film. She's played in several of Pedro Almodovar's movies. For being 82 years old, she's a spunky little old woman! I had the theatre to myself! (not much of a surprise, as I went on Wednesday night at 10 PM). I don't know about you, but I definitely cherish alone time, especially when I am engaged with a cultural experience. 

I meant to post these pictures some time ago, but didn't have the chance. They were for my boyfriend's great-aunt's birthday celebration. I am pretty modest when it comes to anything I prepare/create/make/write, etc...but, these crostinis were, as my boyfriend loves to say, "dank." I made about 3 plates full of them, and they disappeared in about 5 to 10 minutes! I love crostinis in general because you can dress them up or down any which way you like. The greek yogurt dip on the crostinis is so incredibly light and perfect for a spring or summer party. You have to try them out at your next get-together and let me know what you think :) 



Greek Yogurt and Feta Cheese Crostinis

Serves 10-15 people

1 and a half French baguette (I need to eventually try a recipe for homemade french baguette)
2 medium-size cucumbers
3 medium-size radishes
1 1/2 cups Greek yogurt
1/4 cup crumbled Feta cheese (I used Bulgarian Feta, but as I've mentioned before...any type of Feta is amazing!)
1/4 cup Kalamata olives, diced finely
1/2 of a red bell pepper, diced finely
2 stems scallions, chopped finely
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced finely
The juice of 1/2 of a lemon
Salt, black pepper, chili pepper, and dried oregano to taste




1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. Place a paper towel over a strainer, and put the strainer over a small bowl. Add the Greek yogurt to the strainer to make sure all the excess liquid strains out.

3. If using feta cheese from a block, wash the feta cheese with water to remove excess sodium. Pat dry with paper towel. 



4. Combine Greek yogurt, Feta cheese, olives, red bell pepper, parsley, garlic, apple cider vinegar, and lemon. Add salt, black pepper, chili pepper, and dried oregano to taste. Set aside in refrigerator. 

5. Using a mandoline slicer on the 3 mm setting, slice the cucumbers and radishes. Be careful of your fingers :) This was my first time using the slicer, and I absolutely love it!
6. Cut baguette into 1/4 inch thick slices, slightly sidewise. Brush with olive oil and rub top side of baguette with garlic. Place baguette slices on baking sheet in oven and bake for about 3 minutes or so, just until they are slightly toasted. 

7. Top baguette slices with the greek-yogurt dip and decorate with cucumbers and radishes. 




2 comments: